On this page, I explain why I recommend Dr Fuhrman's products.
Dr Fuhrman's diet
Dr Fuhrman, in my opinion, is a doctor that "get's it". A doctor that does not focus on how to cure a specific disease, but on how to be healthy. Not just now, but for the rest of our lives. He is not a doctor that recommends veganism because of a secret animal rights agenda, in fact, he doesn't recommend veganism at all and isn't a vegan himself. He does say that if you do choose to eat animal products they should be a small part of your diet. Your diet should be based on vegetables, as shown in the pyramid on this page. It can be either vegan or mostly vegan. Dr Fuhrman has written multiple books about healthy eating, each focusing on a different angle.
- Eat to Live (with a new revised 2011 edition) - about weightloss
- Eat for Health - about health in general, with a 4 stage plan into healthy eating for people who found it too hard to stick to Eat to Live immediately.
- Cholesterol Protection for Life - about preventing heart disease.
- Disease Proof Your Child - about healthy eating for babies and children.
- Super Immunity - about protecting yourself from illness, from the common cold or flu to cancer.
The Member Center
If you want to eat healthier I think his Member Center is a great help. The main benefits are:
- An active forum where you can share experiences, recipes and ask questions to other people who follow this diet. This is especially helpful if you don't know any other people who try to eat like this. It can be a great motivator to see other people's success and to talk to like minded people.
- A large recipe database with healthy recipes from Fuhrman's books and members. The recipes are rated by members and have comments so you can see what worked and didn't work for other people. There are some really good recipes there. Good food makes eating healthy so much easier.
- The "Ask the Doctor" section on the forum where you can ask Dr Fuhrman specific questions about your own health.
- Access to past newsletters with LOTS of great information about preventing many diseases, many recipes, etc. These newsletters alone are worth the price of admission in my opinion.
- Discounts on products ordered through the Dr Fuhrman Store.
There are different levels of membership. I find that even the cheapest level, at 3.95 USD a month, is very helpful. This level gets you access to all the newsletters, the recipe database and read-only access to the forums (including the Ask the Doctor section and its archives).