- Dr Fuhrman
- Vegan DHA
- iHerb (Great for ordering supplements, even if you're not in the US. Get $10 off your first order of $40 or more, or $5 off smaller orders, if you use coupon code GUH019)
Cancer proof your future
The cancer-lifestyle/nutrition connection seems to be getting more and more attention in mainstream media. The Daily Telegraph has a story with the promising title: Cancer proof your future.
- Eat fruits and vegetables
- Quit smoking
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Don't go to a solarium
- Know your genetic history
- Go to the doctor if your bowel movements change or if you see blood in your faeces.
- Eat turmeric and cruciferous vegetables
- Get cancer screenings
- Eat your greens
Most of these points were not new to me. I was surprised that I actually agreed with almost all of them. I am still unsure about the usefulness of regular cancer screenings for low risk people and I was surprised about the bowel movements point. I cannot imagine not going to the doctor if I found blood in my stools, but I never expected that this would be such a common cancer sign.
The specifics were interesting, though, and worth reading the article for. Who knew that a Swedish study of 61,000 women found those who ate bananas four to six times a week had half the risk of kidney cancer.? A banana! I always considered bananas the potatoes of fruits. Sure, they were healthy, but so high in sugar. I'll eat my bananas with even more pleasure now.
July 25, 2006